This is a crosspost from another blog on which I write. This version is better.
Last evening, upon returning from Friday mass, I was moved to pray for the fine people of our great nation.
Not really. I got home super late last night, and it being Friday, I decided, “Fuck it. I’m going to get insanely high anyway.” So I did, and it’s legal here, so I’m not only a hero, I’m a great citizen.
So, a candy, a crazy potent brownie… (I’m not kidding. 500 mg THC brownie the size of 2/3 of a credit card. I have been nibbling it like a little mouse all week), a couple bowls of Animal Cookies weed (see the leafly review), AND infinite hits of the vape pen later (no half measures for this man)… I was super high.
I was so high that I decided to watch some crazy YouTube videos. I ended up watching/listening to old Fleetwood Mac songs. Old ones, from when they were a hard blues band, all the way to the fluff of the Rumours era. It was lovely. I dozed, I floated. I lucid dreamed Stevie Nicks vs the Green Manalishi… it was lovely. THEN the above video played (the blessing/curse of autoplay) and I was ripped from revery, and faced with this guy.
Crazy YouTube Videos = A Metaphor For 21st Century Life
Ok. Watch this video while you read this. This guy, Marvin Fleer, is so amazingly information rich…. it’s like Finnegan’s Wake on drums. Here’s why.
- His drum setup is insane. Look at all the cymbals.
- His drums seem wedged between a built in china cabinet and… another built in china cabinet?
- I don’t know how, but I am sure that his mom is no more than 10 feet away
- Little Lies? You’re going to live drum to an 80’s pop song from Fleetwood Mac? That’s your showpiece?
- He’s not great
- He’s not terrible
- He has shared this with the world.
- Half a million people have watched this
- Despite half a million in the audience, our man is obviously very alone (mom doesn’t count)
- We have only been able to share videos of ourselves doing shit like this for a few years. This is a new phenomenon.
- Sociology. This is. Read Bowling Alone.
Marvin Fleer, you are the shining exemplar of this day and age. You are the zeitgeist. Go forth and drum forever. There can be great wisdom in crazy YouTube videos.